To promote youth development in the sport of reining within the TNRHA & NRHA organizations. This will be accomplished through targeting riding classes to meet the different skill levels of our youth membership and developing camaraderie between youth participants at the shows to keep them interested and actively involved.
Through the sport of Reining promote leadership, citizenship, volunteerism, and sportsmanship in and out of the show pen. Instill work ethics and life lessons that will encourage and enrich our future generation’s development and growth into tomorrow’s leaders.
Youth Board Positions
Youth Board Positions: For the 2018 season, please use the application to apply for a youth board position. The TNRHA board will be conducting interviews just like a real job interview to help teach life skills when applying for a position.
|14-18 Chair||Toni Lynn Cline|
|13 & Under Chair||Robin Foster|
Everybody on the committee can help you get enrolled in the Varsity Reining Club where you can earn points for prizes, the YES Conference with AQHA and scholarships.
New for 2018
- Youth Class awards!!! We have added class awards to go along with the circuit awards!
- You can stay connected with us for fun information and youth highlights all year long on the TNRHA Youth Facebook page & Snapchat.
- Double D Horseshoeing & Snapper Pond Farms are the generous sponsors for the spirit award, created to reward hardworking youth, focusing on their leadership, volunteerism, sportsmanship & participation in the TNRHA Youth program. 2 awards will be presented, one in 14-18 and one 13 & under. TNRHA Youth Spirit Award Application (pdf)
2018 Event Calendar & Youth Activities
Midwinter Slip & Slide
Spinning in the Rein
Smoky Mountain Reins
- T-shirt sales all year long
Check with any of the youth committee to get a great T-shirt that supports our youth and puts a fantastic logo on your chest.
- ORCA Cooler Prize Pack
Buy your tickets and get a chance to win a great Tennessee made cooler filled with fun prizes.
$100.00 added Youth Classes
There will be $100 in added money put into each of the following Youth classes each Saturday:
Youth 13 and under / 14-18 Youth Classes
Chance to win a Continental Saddle
In addition to the buckle awarded to each winner in the 14-18 Class we will be awarding a Continental Saddle to the highest point earning exhibitor who has shown in all 8 classes and has participated in the Youth Fundraisers at each show.
Note: The saddle will only be awarded to the exhibitor who…
- shows in all 4 shows
- has the highest total number of points in those shows
- has participated in the youth fundraisers at each show
- therefore, the earner of the saddle can be a different exhibitor than that of the buckle series.
The Terry Howell Memorial Youth Scholarship…
… is open to any current TNRHA member that is in their senior year of high school. The scholarship awards $1000 to one hard-working, caring, and dedicated individual to help further their academic career. In order to apply, please submit the attached form along with one well written essay for the review by the board.
Youth Scholarship Applicants will be scored on the following:
- Completeness of application (50 points, Due on or before March 15th).
- Essay: content, grammar, presentation (100 points, Due on or before March 15th).
- Essay Topic: Describe your involvement with TNRHA and explain how your experiences with the Tennessee affiliate has helped prepare you to be college and career ready.
- Interview assessment (50 points, will be held at the March show)
Congratulations to our Scholarship Recipients
– 2016 Jordan Scott –
Jordan Scott on being named the recipient of the TNRHA Terry Howell Memorial Youth Scholarship for 2016. It is our pleasure to give the Terri Howell scholarship award each year to a senior within our TNRHA youth program. Terri was such a support of our program and our youth. She encouraged all of us to stay focused and overcome obstacles while truly loving her horse as a partner in the arena. Youth Coordinator, Stacey Jones said of Jordan, “It has been my pleasure to watch Jordan grow into a fine young lady and equestrian rider.
She is an excellent role model for our youth riders and will represent TNRHA well as she moves to University of South Carolina on their Equestrian Team. Jordan… the TNRHA Board is really proud of you!”
Jordan was also the
- 2011 TNRHA 13 & Under Champion
- 2012 TNRHA 13 & Under Reserve Champion
- 2013 14-18 Reserve Champion
- 3 time Affiliate Finalist
- TNRHA two year secretary
- 2013 VRC Reiner of the year
- 2013 NRHA delegate
– 2015 Kathryn “Blair” McFarlin –
Kathryn “Blair” McFarlin, the recipient of the TNRHA Terry Howell Memorial Youth Scholarship in 2015. It is our pleasure to give the Terri Howell scholarship award each year to a senior within our TNRHA youth program.
Terri was such a support of our program and our youth. She encouraged all of us to stay focused and over com obstacles while truly loving out horse as a partner in the arena. Youth Coordinator Amy Scott said of Blair, “It has been my honor to be a part of Blair growing into a fine young lady. She is always willing to help and not afraid to take a risk as she grows as a better rider. She has been an excellent role model for young folks and will represent TNRHA well as she moves to Auburn. Blair… We are so proud of you!”
- Blair is also the 2014 NRHA Youth 14 – 18 Reserve World Champion